Instructing French lawyer
LAFOURCADE AVOCATS has established a list of criteria that we believe all individuals and business managers should keep in mind when instructing French lawyer.
When instructing a French lawyer, you need to consider several questions.
Does the French lawyer has:
- the necessary reputation, experience and ability?
- the time?
- the right commercial attitude?
- the language skills?
- a team as back up?
- international experience?
- Which professional rules apply to the French lawyer?
- Is the French lawyer a member of a bar association?
- Do you have your French lawyer direct line or home telephone number and e-mail address?
The French lawyer practice
Does the French lawyer’s practice have:
- French lawyers that are used to working in teams?
- a replacement for your chosen French lawyer?
- support staff that speak your language?
- the infrastructure you need such as document processing systems?
- Is you French lawyer a member of an international network of lawyers?
- Does the office close over the period you need advice?
- Is it in the right region?
- What professional rules apply to advisers at the firm?
French lawyer’s Fees
- How will the fee be calculated? Are you provided with a draft fee agreement ?
- How many lawyers will be working on the project?
- What uplifts are there?
- Are there compulsory taxes on the bill?
- Do you have to pay for anyone else (like a French notary)?
- Are there statutory minimum charges and can you exclude them?
- Is there an arbitration procedure?
- How much does it cost?
- Does the French lawyer have a lien over your papers?
Conflicts and confidentiality under French law
- Is the French practice an expense sharing association or part of an alliance?
- Is the market small?
- What conflict checking systems does the French law firm have?
- Is the French law firm sensitive to commercial conflicts?
- Are communications with your French lawyer privileged?
- Can you see copies of correspondence between your French lawyer and other lawyers?
- Is the individual a French lawyer and, if so, which rules cover him?
- Is there a compensation fund? Is it discretionary or limited?
Professional indemnity insurance
- is it compulsory?
- how much does your French lawyer have?
- what is the excess?
- what does it cover?
- The practice: are all partners liable, or just your adviser?
- do rules exist?
- is there a bar audit?
- is the disciplinary system effective?
LAFOURCADE AVOCATS law firm has set up internal processes to ensure that all these criteria are met to ensure quality and cost efficient French legal services.